DO DOGS NEED JACKETS IN WINTER?
- Some people scoff at the idea of putting clothes on dogs, but there are lots of dog owners who have seen their dogs struggle with the cold to the point of shivering.
- Some dogs are designed to handle cold conditions well with thick shaggy fur, but some dogs, through breeding and other factors, are very unsuited to cold weather
- Dogs that have short coats, small or light-framed dogs tend to have very little in the way of natural layering, and are good candidates for dog coats.
- Old dogs, or dogs with sicknesses have weaker immune systems, and can have trouble growing hair and with circulation, and so are more susceptible to cold weather, and also may have more need of a jacket.
HOW TO TELL IF YOUR DOG IS TOO COLD
Here are some symptoms your dog can show if he’s not handling the cold weather:
- Your dog is reluctant to go outside to relieve himself.
- Your dog shivers when he’s outside.
- Your dog curls up into a little ball in an effort to conserve heat.
SOME DOGS JUST DON’T NEED COATS
Some dogs are bred to handle very cold conditions, with thick dense fur that acts as natural insulation against the wind, rain and snow, and have no need for extra layering (think of huskies, german shepherds, and so on)
If your dog fits this description, and has been bred to thrive in cold conditions, he doesn’t need a dog jacket to keep him warm. If you do plan to buy clothing for him, make sure you buy a lighter jacket like our Fleece Dog Jacket, to avoid overheating.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT DOG JACKET
If you feel that your dog could use a bit of extra layering in the colder months, the next step is to choose the right dog jacket for him.
- Bone-Dry Oilskin Coat – thick and warm coat, but not machine washable.
- Alpha Winter Dog Coat is machine washable and great for cold weather.
- Alpha Rainsheet Dog Coat – machine washable, thinner lining for milder climates or dogs with some degree of natural protection against the cold.
- Before you order a dog coat or jacket from our store, please make sure you measure your dog using our Dog Coat Sizing Chart available here.
- A good snug fit is important so your dog is comfortable in his new coat.
- Too small and the coat will be too tight and restrict your dog’s movement, but too big and your dog coat can drag on the ground, get caught on snags and even get pulled right off him.
- Some dogs aren’t naturally suited to cold weather.
- Decide what type of dog coat your dog needs.
- Measure your dog up before you buy your first coat or jacket.